Tim and I are going to be in Oahu during this year’s Academy Awards. As avid movie watchers who strive to see all the best picture nominees, we planned ahead to ensure we had everything we might need to ensure a successful Oscar viewing party (of two nonetheless).
First, we looked into any official Oscar parties happening on the island and learned that the Halekulani Hotel on Waikiki would be hosting a formal event at $300 a head. (The same hotel that The Descendants crew stayed at while filming in Oahu). After weighing pros (fun adventure) and cons (expensive, need to pack black tie attire, 45 minute drive from the JW Marriott Ihilani Resort and Spa), we opted to plan for an evening in.
Here’s a look at our Oscar Party Must Haves:
- Pre-printed voting ballots (available at MovieFone.com)
- Two sets of colored pens for picks, predictions and actual winners*
- Nearby convenience store for champagne
- Smorgasbord of yummy appetizers from the room service menu
- A room with a beautiful view (worth the upgrade if you know you’re staying in one night) and mini fridge to keep drinks champagne cold
*Tim and I always select our movie of the year picks in addition to our predictions. For instance, I picked Moneyball as the best movie of the year but I’m predicting the gold statue will go to The Artist.